The Hurlbut   Foundation


Jackie, a daycare employee, was  unable to work during  her treatment. Chemotherapy leaves most patients with a compromised
 immune system and h
er job could jeopardize her health. Germs that we as healthy adults come into contact with on a daily basis may put a chemo patient in the hospital, extending treatment and the financial burden that is already being faced.  BCSS paid her rent and utilities so she did not have to worry about eviction until she could return to work.

Loss of income due to breast cancer and its treatment can lead to financial strain on women and families.  The Breast Cancer Emergency Fund helps to support families in the Tennessee Valley while they are focused on treatment, healing and recovery. 

Financial Assistance is available for newly diagnosed breast cancer patients and those recently diagnosed with recurrent disease:

  • Who apply within one year of their date of diagnosis.
  • Who are under active treatment (treatment is defined as surgery, radiation therapy and/or chemotherapy, excluding long-term hormone therapy, and alternative medicines).
  • Who live in the following Tennessee Counties:  Bledsoe, Bradley, Grundy, Hamilton, Marion, Meigs, McMinn, Polk, Rhea or Sequatchie; the Georgia Counties of: Catoosa, Dade, Fannin, Gordon, Murray, Walker or Whitfield; and the Alabama Counties of DeKalb or Jackson 
  • Who have a gross household income that does not exceed 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines

Eligible Expenses

Financial assistance is available up to a total of $850 and will cover:

  • Utilities: electric, gas, and water (no phone service)

  • Rent or mortgage payments

  • Gas and Food Vouchers

Emergency Fund


How to Apply

For an application form click here or, contact your doctor's office, your treatment coordinator, or:

Breast Cancer Support Services
1089 Bailey Avenue, Suite B7
Chattanooga, TN  37404
Phone:  423-629-2445
Fax:  423-629-1733
Email:  info@bcss-chattanooga.org

  You will need:

  • Proof of most recent income (Social Security or disability benefit verification letter, pay stub, food stamp letter, etc.)
  • Original invoices, rent or mortgage coupons with addresses and phone numbers where payment is to be sent. 

Return the application with the documents listed to Breast Cancer Support Services or to your treatment coordinator.